SOBEWFF 2017 – Southern Kitchen Brunch Review
Hosted by Trisha Yearwood
The South Beach Wine and Food Festival is a marvel to behold. I was exceptionally honored to preview one of their events this year. The famous country singer Trisha Yearwood hosted a Southern-style Kitchen brunch. So much food and so amazing. There was chicken smothered in a multitude of different flavored sauces, tacos, shrimp and grits, a meaty hash, and a berry dessert pastry. There was a flowery flavored soda pop, called Belvoir. I’ve only seen these drinks a few times before. But they are an amazing alternative to the traditional soda options. They are wonderfully titles tantalizing your imagination and taste with bewilderment. However, one of my most favorite was the ancho chili avocado dip by Lifeaway. It is a fabulous healthy and light dip. It is great for an appetizer, starter or as a dessert, which was how I finished this amazing Southern Kitchen brunch.
Lifeway Kefir is a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie that is high in protein, calcium, and vitamin D. The probiotic-rich fermented beverage contains 12 live and active cultures and 15 to 20 billion beneficial CFU (Colony Forming Units). There are many health benefits of kefir ranging from boosted immunity to improved digestion, and it helps people maintain a healthy weight, a happier mood, and clearer skin. While diners enjoyed their endless plates they were entertained by a number of musical ensembles. All country-flavored of course.
Lifeway Kefir Ancho Chili Avocado Dip Recipe –
Ancho chili powder adds a depth of smoky flavor to our creamy avocado kefir dip.
- 2 very ripe large avocados
- ¾-1 cup Lifeway Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder (more or less to taste)
- ¾ cup sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro, plus more to garnish
- Juice of one lime
- Sea salt, to taste
- A few dashes of preferred hot sauce, optional
- Cut open and scoop the flesh of the avocados into a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the kefir, and stir well.
- Slowly stir in kefir until desired consistency is reached. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional cilantro and/or peppers.