Blount Organic Soups – Comfort Food with Sourdough Bread Bowls
Written and photos by Jessica Lewandowski
Summer may be rolling up, but, for most of us, that doesn’t mean we get to slow our rolls any time soon. We’re busy with adulting, and sometimes we need a quick meal so we have more time for boring adult things. Blehck.
Anyways, Blount Organic has a great line of soups that are fast to heat up in the microwave or on a stove top, and they’ve saved us from those cruddy box meals that you buy in the freezer section for 10 for $10. Blount Organic Soups are, you guessed it, certified organic. They come in some pretty tasty flavors like Ancient Grain Minestrone, Tomato Bisque, and Chicken Tortilla. My personal favorite was the Coconut Lentil Soup, which had a ton of lentils and chunky veggies.
The soups are really filling too. Each bowl has about two cups of soup in it; you can eat a whole bowl for a super hearty meal to power through an afternoon of adult responsibilities, or you can eat half of one as a light snack. The packaging makes these soup yummies easy to transport, open, and close as you need.
If you do find a little time to wind down, I suggest eating a Blount Organic Soup in a delicious Sourdough Bread Bowl. Want to try making your own bread?, try this recipe from The Kitchn, like I did. If you just don’t have time for that, purchase a small loaf at grocery store, and follow the directions below for a comfort food meal!
You will need:
- One large, round sourdough loaf or two small sourdough loaves
- One bowl of your favorite Blount Organic Soup
- 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Use a serrated knife to cut a lid out of the top of your sourdough loaf. Slice in at a diagonal angle to create a cone shape, with the top of the loaf being the wider end. Remove the lid, and slice off the soft, white interior.
- Use your hand to rip out the soft white interior bread of the loaf, leaving a one inch thick bread wall for the bread bowl. Save all of the ripped and cut up pieces of soft bread for dipping later in your soup.
- Heat your Blount Organic Soup in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high. Then, pour it into your bread bowl(s).
- Set the bread bowl, or bowls, on a lined sheet tray. Sprinkle your mozzarella cheese over the soup.
- Leave the bread lids aside, and heat the filled bread bowls in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Place the lid back on your warm bread bowl and serve! Enjoy!