9 Lazy Kidz – One Pot Curry Chicken Recipe Made in Minutes
Written and Photos by Jessica Lewandowski
Although my little, round face dictates that I will be cooking and eating Polish food for the rest of my life (which I’m totally okay with, by the way), one of my absolute favorite dishes to eat is Chicken Tikka Masala. A little sweet, and spiced to no end, I love that orangish-red sauce. Seriously, I could eat Tikka Masala sauce by the spoonful. Forget the chicken entirely, at this point. The other thing I love to eat is hot sauce. I put hot sauce on everything. Am I a little weird? Yes. I’m here for a good time, not a long time.
I know, I’ve rambled on enough about Tikka Masala and hot sauce. Here is why these two things are related:
- I stink at making my own Chicken Tikka Masala
- I’ve found the perfect hot sauce that makes cooking a simplified version of this dish addictively delicious and easy.
The hot sauce is called Q’s Spicy Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce from 9 Lazy Kidz. For all my “health-nutz” out there, the sauce is free of preservatives, is all natural, and is gluten-free. I took a peek at the ingredient list, and every single ingredient is something you could find in your own kitchen.
The base of the sauce is made with mango pulp, and it’s flavored with a variety of peppers and spices. After I tasted it, it immediately reminded me of the spices you would taste in a lot of Middle-Eastern and Asian cooking. Hence, the creation of my One Pot Curry Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts, trimmed and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ c. 9 Lazy Kidz Q’s Spicy Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 TB butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ c. condensed coconut milk
- 1 ½ c. chicken broth
- ½ a 6-oz. can tomato paste
- In a Ziploc bag, combine the chicken breasts, hot sauce, and garlic. Seal the bag, and let the chicken marinate for 2-3 hours. The longer it marinates, the spicier your chicken will be.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Dump the marinated chicken and all the juices into the pot. Stir in the salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is just done.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pot, and set it aside in a dish for later. Reserve all the cooking liquid in the pot, and turn the heat down to low.
- Melt the butter in the pot, and deglaze the bottom of the pot if necessary. Toss in the yellow onion. Cover with a lid, and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent. Stir occasionally to avoid burning the ingredients.
- Stir in the coconut milk and chicken broth. Leave the lid on the pot, and turn the heat up to medium. Cook the liquid until it comes to a strong simmer.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Allow the sauce to cook and reduce, uncovered, for about six minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot. At this point, you can add additional Q’s Spicy Mango Sauce if you want more heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Serve the One Pot Curry Chicken over rice or vegetables!
If you keep an arsenal of hot sauces in your kitchen cabinet like I do, you’ll want Q’s Spicy Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce included. Take part in shopping small businesses, and check out 9 Lazy Kidz!